Skip to Main Page Content

International graduate admissions FAQs

Application deadlines are set and enforced by academic program offices. Please refer to the online program descriptions found on Degree Search for deadline information. To discuss deadlines and exceptions, you should contact the academic program office offering the program.

The application requires your cumulative undergraduate GPA, junior-senior GPA, and graduate GPA (if applicable). You can usually refer to your transcript to see the GPA awarded by your university. In the application, use the “scale” drop-down menu to see if your school’s grading scale is listed. For undergraduate GPA, provide your cumulative GPA for your undergraduate career with the appropriate scale. The junior-senior GPA represents your last, or most recently completed two years of course work, followed again by the appropriate scale. Use the same procedure for your graduate GPA if you have taken any graduate course work.

Calculating grade averages on a 4.0 scale 

Calculating your grade/mark average or percentage on a non-4.0 scale

Within a few days you will receive an email with instructions on how to log into your My ASU account. My ASU is where you can monitor the status of your application, view any missing items and receive the final outcome of your application.

The academic program to which you are applying may or may not require supplemental documents like letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, resume, portfolio or test scores (GRE, GMAT, MAT). Always read the program description and requirements prior to contacting the program office. Graduate program descriptions and requirements with telephone numbers and email addresses are available on Degree Search.

The application must be completed and the application fee must be paid before the emails are sent to recommenders.

You are allowed to resend the email every seven days though My ASU. In My ASU, access the “Manage Recommenders” link to send reminder emails. If your recommender does not seem to be receiving the emails, please have them check their spam/junk folder in their email account.

Your academic credentials must provide information on the courses you took each year and the grades/marks received. Please note that any document ASU receives becomes the property of the university and will not be returned to you. Please do not send documents that cannot be easily replaced. Please do not send your intermediate or secondary education documents.

Official academic credentials are issued by the registrar of the institution attended, bearing the seal of the institution and registrar’s or academic official’s signature, OR verified true copies of credentials by a responsible official of the institution or educational representative of the country’s government or embassy. Each page must bear the verifying official signature and stamp.

All international transcripts must be submitted in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Translations must be literal, complete versions of the originals and must be translated by a university, government official or official translation service. You may not complete your own translation.

Photocopies and notarized transcripts are NOT acceptable.

Regular Mail
Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

Graduate Admission Services
Arizona State University
1151 S. Forest Avenue, #SSV112
Tempe, AZ  85287-0112

It takes a few days to process documents. Once they have arrived, they are processed in the order they are received. Please allow several business days for your Priority Tasks list to update once your documents have arrived.

Be sure to monitor My ASU regularly for any updates to your application. Pending Priority Tasks will delay the processing of your application. Please contact the academic department for an estimated time frame for which you can expect a decision. Graduate program telephone numbers and email addresses are available on Degree Search.

If a student wishes to withdraw from his/her graduate degree program and the university, they must complete the Voluntary Withdrawal form. International students should contact the International Students and Scholars Center before submitting a Voluntary Withdrawal form, as it most likely will affect their visa status.